What is a wetsuit?
A wetsuit is a suit that protects your body from the cold and retains its own warmth. By wearing such a suit, you prevent hypothermia when you are in cold water for a long time. It is therefore particularly important to use a good wetsuit when doing water sports.
Wetsuits are made of neoprene, a material that absorbs little water and is very flexible. The suits fit closely to your body, so that only a thin layer of water can pass between your skin and the neoprene. This thin layer is heated by your body heat. The water therefore remains as a warm layer around your body. A good wetsuit therefore fits closely to the skin and has an insulating effect.
Types of wetsuits
There are different types of wetsuits to choose from. Which one suits you best? Below are the different models in a row, sorted from the coldest temperatures to the warmest temperatures.
- A drysuit is suitable for the coldest temperatures, as it provides thermal insulation. Water does not enter the suit, while heat is retained very well. It is even possible to wear dry clothing under the drysuit for extra warmth.
- The steamer is another model that is also suitable for colder temperatures. The seams of steamers are taped or glued shut, so that a lot less water enters the suit. This makes the model warmer than the following 4 models.
- The most common model is a full body wetsuit. This model covers the whole body and is made of a thinner material than the steamer. For average temperatures, this model offers sufficient warmth and comfort.
- Another option for average temperatures is a overknee model, where the legs are in the suit up to just over the knee. This model covers the whole arms. They are particularly popular for water sports such as wakeboarding and kite surfing, where you wear boots under your wet suit.
- The opposite of the overknee model is the shortarmThis suit has long legs that cover the entire length of your legs, but short sleeves that allow your arms to move freely.
- In warm temperatures, the shorty a good option. This model covers the legs up to just over the knee and the arms up to the elbows. So it is the wetsuit that covers the smallest area of your body.
Buying a wetsuit means choosing between these different types. In our wetsuit shop you can find all kinds of high quality wetsuits. Have a look at our selection for the best models!
Which thickness should I choose?
In addition to the type of wetsuit you choose, the thickness of the suit is also important. At low temperatures you want to retain more heat than at high temperatures. That is why you should adjust the thickness of your wetsuit to the temperature of the water in which you intend to use it the most.
We sell the suits in neoprene from 1 mm to 6 mm thickness. The thicknesses of water suits are indicated in the following way: 3/2.
The The first number is about the thickness of your core (abdomen and back).. This is usually a bit thicker and also the most important thing to keep warm. The second number is the thickness of the neoprene on your arms and legs.
This is usually a little thinner, so that you still have enough freedom of movement. Below you can read which wetsuit is most suitable for which temperature.
Which wetsuit at which temperature:
The fit of your wetsuit is also important, as it has to correspond to your wishes. Pay attention to the following parts, among others:
- Do you want a frontzip or backzip? The location of the zip affects how easy it is to put on and take off the suit. Surfers often choose a zip at the front because of the extra freedom of movement and the ease of putting on and taking off. However, suits with a zip in the front are more difficult to put on if you are a bit taller.
- You have even more choices of zips: you can choose between a full zipper and half zipper. The full zipper is longer and runs down your spine. It is a very practical solution, but offers the least flexibility. A half-zipper gives you more flexibility because only half of your spine is covered by a zip. Not a fan of a zip at all? There is a solution for that too: a zipperless model. They are a little harder to put on and take off, but offer the greatest freedom of movement.
- Make sure that the suit fits tightly to your body. This is important for maintaining your body temperature. Make sure you choose the right size, buying a wetsuit that is too big means that you will be colder than necessary, because you are less protected from the cold. At the same time, buying a wetsuit that is too tight means that you have less freedom of movement.
- Would you like to flushing? These are small holes, usually near the legs, where water can easily flow out of the suit. This is popular among various sports, for example kite surfing.
- You can also choose lining. This is an extra lining on the inside that provides even more insulation. Lining is often present in more expensive wetsuits, sometimes all over the body and sometimes only at the chest.
Check out our wetsuit shop for the best ones to suit your situation. The choice is yours!
Wetsuits are made from neoprene, which is a type of rubber fabric that is ideal for use in the water. The neoprene can vary in quality: you have stretch neoprene and super stretch neoprene. Today, most models for 30%, 60% or 100% are made of super stretch neoprene.
There are two types of wetsuits with neoprene, depending on the lining. The lining is a layer of fabric that sits over the neoprene. The two different types are as follows:
- Single-lined neoprene: Here, the lining is on the inside of the suit and the rubber layer of neoprene is on the outside. The advantage of the single-lined neoprene is that the structure is closed and therefore the suit is warmer. However, the suit is not as strong and therefore less vulnerable. Wakeboarders, sailors, and water skiers often choose this option:
- Double-lined neoprene: Here, there is an extra layer of fabric over the neoprene on the inside as well as on the outside. The advantage of this type is that it is stronger and less vulnerable.
Additional tips for a good purchase
You want to buy the best wetsuit for your situation. Therefore, we have put together some extra tips to help you make the right choice.
- Please note when purchasing the seams of the suit. It is best to choose a suit with smooth seams that fall flat against the skin. Seams with dots or sharp edges can cause abrasions and are often less durable. It is difficult to repair a seam in a wet suit, which is why the seams of the best models are often reinforced. Therefore, when buying a wet suit, choose one with good quality seams.
- Also check the quality of the zip. The position of the zip (front or back) is of course important, but also the quality of the zip. A good zip is heavy and should be easy to move up and down. At the same time, the seams around the zip are also important, so it can't hurt to check whether they are strong and smooth.
- Do you want to long or short sleeves in your wetsuit? There are advantages to both options. When your arms are covered, you float a little better than when you wear a suit without sleeves. Also, long sleeves are of course warmer than short sleeves. The short sleeve can still be a good choice, because of the freedom of movement it gives you.
- Also the style is important, of course. You look your best in your watersuit. That's a good thing! We have a wide range of wetsuits in all kinds of models and colours. This makes it easy to find a suit that suits you perfectly.
What do you wear under a wetsuit?
There are many different garments you can wear under a wet suit. The most important thing about undergarments is that they fit tightly to your skin, so that you don't cause unnecessary friction between your body and the suit. We have listed the most common choices for undergarments for you:
- Swimwear is ideal for ladies to wear under the suit. Swimwear gives some support, but also covers only a small part of your body, which minimises friction. Not surprisingly, many female water sports enthusiasts choose this.
- Also boardies are a good choice for under-suit clothing. These boardies are available in short and long models, we recommend short models for more comfort. The boardshorts are a good option for both men and women, although you see them more often in men than in women. Make sure you choose the right size, only then the shorts fit comfortably under the suit. Trousers that are too big or long have more fabric and can therefore cause friction between you and the suit. And of course, trousers that are too small are not comfortable either!
- The tight swimming trunks is the alternative to a boardie. These swimming trunks are also very suitable as underwear, because they are tight and feel like a second skin. This means that there is little or no friction. Also, rubbing of your legs remains very limited.
- Surfshirts T-shirts are made of a special material which makes them very suitable for water sports. At the same time, these shirts are also designed to be worn under a suit. If the water or the day is really warm, you can also choose to wear a surf shirt in combination with swimming trunks instead of a wetsuit. A surfshirt is also called a rashguard and is available with both long and short sleeves.
- You can also choose normal underwear as underwear. However, you should pay attention to the material: it should be suitable for water sports and offer some strength. Cotton underwear is a very bad idea: it can tear apart.
As you can see, there are many options for undergarments. Choose underwear that is made of sturdy material so that there are no surprises.
Did you know you can also buy accessories to make your wetsuit even more complete? Read some examples below or check out all the accessories in our wetsuit shop.
An example of an accessory is a hood. This is a kind of headgear that also keeps your head warm when doing sports in water. Wetsuits never cover the head, while an uncovered head quickly cools the whole body. A hood can therefore be a solution to retain even more warmth.
Your hands are never covered by a wetsuit. However, it can sometimes be useful, especially in freezing temperatures. It is another way of retaining as much warmth as possible.
We already mentioned it briefly above, the rashguard is a surf T-shirt that you can wear as a replacement for a wetsuit. This can come in handy on extremely hot days, as it protects your upper body from sunburn. The rashguard can also be worn under your wetsuit as undergarment.
Did you know that you can buy special boots to wear under your wetsuit? This gives you two advantages: the first advantage is of course heat, covered feet stay warmer than bare feet. The second advantage is about protecting your soles.
That way, rocky or prickly ground doesn't get a chance to ruin your foot. So that's a good thing! If you choose boots, we recommend choosing boots with grip if you want to use them for surfing, for example.
What is a wetsuit test?
A wetsuit test is usually an investigation in which different wetsuits are compared with each other. This is often done by professional water sports people, so you get a reliable result.
Keep in mind that every sport can have different requirements for a wetsuit. When looking for a wetsuit test, it is therefore smart to read one that deals with your specific water sport.
Buy the best wetsuit at watersports4fun.com
Buy the best wetsuit in our wetsuit shop. In our wide range you will find all kinds of models and types, so that you can choose a suit that suits you perfectly.
We offer several advantages to our customers, such as free shipping for orders over €100 and a money back guarantee for up to 30 days. Are you still unsure about your choice or do you have any other questions? Please contact our customer service, our enthusiastic team are ready to help you.