Why buy a ladies wetsuit?
A wetsuit is ideal if you do a lot of sport in the water, for example surfing, surfing or sailing. A wetsuit ensures that you don't get hypothermia in the sometimes very cold temperatures of the water. This means that you can go into the water in colder temperatures without freezing your toes off.
A ladies wetsuit is specially designed for a woman's body. This means that there is a narrower waist, while there is extra space at the breasts and hips. A women's wetsuit therefore usually fits women better than a universal model or a model for men.
A good ladies wetsuit fits your body well, but is still comfortable and offers enough freedom of movement. There are several things to consider when choosing a wetsuit including the model, thickness, material and fit. Read on for clear tips on how to go about it.
The different types
There are now many different types available, so we give you an overview of the models you can choose from. The models differ in the temperature at which they work best and in the freedom of movement you have in the suit.. These are the most common models:
The drysuit can be used in the coldest temperatures. The suit does not let water in and retains warmth very well. This type covers the whole body and therefore has long trouser legs and long sleeves.
The steamer is also suitable for colder temperatures and, like the drysuit, covers the whole body. A special feature of the steamer is that the seams of the suit are glued or taped shut.
- This means that less water enters the suit, compared to the next 4 types. The suit is suitable for winter, spring and autumn.
Full body wetsuit
This type of wetsuit is the most common. It keeps you warm in reasonably fresh temperatures and is therefore good to use in the (Dutch) spring and autumn. This suit also covers your whole body including the entire arms and legs.
This model has slightly shorter legs that stop just below the knee. This gives your legs some extra freedom of movement, or room for wakeboard or kitesurf boots, for example. The sleeves just cover your arms. With this model you can do sports in water of average temperatures.
Short arm model
The short arm model is the opposite of the overknee model, and has long trouser legs but short sleeves. This model therefore gives your arms some extra freedom of movement. This model is good to use at average temperatures.
The last type of wetsuit for women is a shorty. This wetsuit covers your upper body and only a small part of your arms or legs. So it has short sleeves and legs or even no sleeves at all.
- These models are very popular among women because you have a lot of freedom of movement while exercising. At the same time, these types of wetsuits are also available in a wide range of colours and designs. The shorty is especially suitable for summer and high temperatures.
What size should you choose?
When you have chosen a type of wetsuit, it is important to select the right size. This can sometimes be a little tricky online as you cannot try the wetsuits on beforehand.
Don't worry: if you have ordered a wetsuit that does not fit, you can return it within 30 days. However, to make it easier for you, we have provided some advice on choosing the right size.
There are two parts that are important when choosing the right size:
- The length and width of the suit
- The thickness of the suit
The length and width depend on your own body. Your chest size determines most of the size. Therefore, always choose a size that fits your chest size.
When you wear a suit that is too big and does not fit your body well, you get cold water flowing through your suit all the time. This water is cold, and also makes it difficult to keep yourself warm. This is why a tight fitting wetsuit for women is important.
The thickness of your wetsuit
To keep your body as warm as possible in the water, it is important to choose the right thickness. Wetsuits are made of neoprene, a kind of synthetic rubber that can be from 1 mm to 6 mm thick. The thicker the suit, the better it keeps out the cold.
The thickness of the material is given as follows: 3/2. Here, the first number is the thickness of the suit around your back and abdomen (your core), in this case 3 mm. The second number is the thickness of the suit around your arms and legs. This is usually thinner, so that you also have more freedom of movement.
Choosing a quality wetsuit
A wetsuit is an investment with which you can fully enjoy yourself in the water. Therefore you want a high quality wetsuit, so you have enough freedom of movement and the suit will last a long time. There are several things you can look for in a high quality wetsuit women:
- How much stretch does the material have? Most suits are made partly from neoprene super stretch and partly from neoprene stretch. Super stretch is more flexible and gives even more freedom of movement. However, this material is slightly more expensive.
- If it is especially important that your wetsuit for women is cheap, neoprene stretch might be the right choice for you.
- Look at the insulation. This includes the thickness, but also the seams and how well they are taped, for example.
- Do you choose single-lined neoprene or double-lined neoprene? Single-lined neoprene is cheaper because it only has an extra lining on one side. This extra fabric lining is on the inside, the outside consists of the rubber neoprene. Double-lined neoprene has this extra fabric layer on the inside as well as on the outside. Double-lined neoprene is usually stronger than single-lined neoprene. Again, if the most important thing is that your ladies wetsuit is cheap, the strongest version (double-lined) may not be as interesting.
Additional tips for a good wetsuit for women
In addition to the above-mentioned components, you can also look for the following things in a perfectly fitting wetsuit for women:
- Is the suit quick-drying? Some athletes like it when the suit dries quickly when they are finished with their sport. Neoprene is fortunately generally quite fast-drying.
- How heavy is the suit? This can also play a role in your choice.
- Of course, the appearance or design also plays a part in your choice. Quality is of course paramount, but a fun or cheerful wetsuit is also never wrong! And good news, in our webshop you'll find a wide range of different wetsuits for women. This way you can choose a model that is completely to your taste.
Which shoes can I wear under a wetsuit?
Your body is protected by your wetsuit, your feet are not. It can therefore be useful to buy water shoes so that you can fully enjoy your favourite water sport. When your feet don't stay warm, the rest of your body cools down faster as well. So wearing special shoes under your wetsuit means you stay warmer yourself.
It is also possible to buy shoes with grip. This can be very handy when you are surfing or windsurfing, for example, as you get more grip on your surface. Shoes are available in several thicknesses, if you want to use it in the winter we recommend a thickness of 5 mm.
These are the 3 most common types of shoes for under your wetsuit women:
- Round toe. This is actually more like a sock with the sole reinforced. It is made of neoprene and fits closely to your skin. Ideal for keeping warm, in other words!
- Split toe. With a split toe shoe, your little toes are separated from your big toe. This has the advantage that the shoe (usually) stays in place. The round toe sock can slide around a bit here and there. At the same time, you have more grip on your surfboard, for example, because the big toe is separate.
- Internal split toe. The third option is the internal split toe, where the big toe is separated from the little toes, but they are still together in one shoe. So it is a combination of the round toe and the split toe shoes. The advantage of the split toe is that the shoe stays in place better, and at the same time all toes are together in the shoe, which makes it warmer. The best of both worlds!
Good gloves as accessories
Gloves can also be a very useful accessory to wear with your wetsuit. The thickness of gloves varies, again a thickness of 5 mm is fine for the winter. If your hands and fingers get cold very quickly, you can also choose thicker gloves.
Again, there are different types of gloves for sale:
- Lobster gloves where the thumb and index finger are separate and the other three fingers are together. The advantage of this is that your other three fingers stay warmer because they are together, while the separate thumb and index finger gives you plenty of grip and freedom of movement.
- 5 finger gloves where all the fingers are separate.
- Mittens. These are mittens as you know them, where only the thumb is separate and all the other fingers are together. However, it is made of neoprene, which makes it suitable for water sports. The advantage is the extra warmth because most of the fingers are together, but it can happen that you can't hold your surfboard as well.
We are happy to help you make the right choice
Do you have questions about the different wetsuits, or are you not yet sure which model is right for you? No worries, we are here for you. Contact our customer service for advice on your situation. That way you can be sure to get the right ladies wetsuit for you.
In addition to our excellent customer service, you can also benefit from our return policy. You can return your product within 30 days. Is the product not good? Then you get your money back. Fair enough! As icing on the cake, all orders over €100 will be shipped for free. Have fun kayaking, surfing, SUP, wakeboarding or any other water sport!