A pivot turn is a technique used in stand-up paddling to make an effective turn. It is widely used at sea to turn around and catch waves as quickly as possible. This technique is also often used during SUP contests. Are you going to have a Buy SUP board? Then it is useful to read yourself up on the different techniques while supping.
Advantages of pivot turn while supping
- A pivot turn is a quick and effective way to make a turn with a surf SUP board.
- It can be used to turn and catch waves quickly.
- It is a requirement at ISUP matches.
- It helps to get faster and more control when surfing.
- It reduces the risk of injury.
How does the pivot turn work?
The Pivot turn is a technique that allows you to make a turn as fast as possible. It is a fun technique that requires you to keep your balance well. In particular, you need to make sure the tip of the board is well out of the water so you can turn around your axis.
- Put most of your weight on the back of the board, while keeping one foot behind in a surfing stance. Then your board will come up automatically.
- If you start paddling while the tip of your board is up, you will find that you can suddenly turn much faster. Ideal and a fun experience and well applicable for a all-round or touring SUP board.
Difficulty pivot turn
The difficulty of a pivot turn depends on the level you are at. For SUP beginners it can be quite tricky because it requires a lot of balance and coordination. It is also important that you get the right feel for the technique, otherwise you will not be able to perform it correctly.
For advanced suppers, the technique is usually easier because they already have more experience on the water.
Last updated on 08/02/2023